Steering Shares provide an opportunity to learn more about the I&A Steering Committee and the issues that the committee members care about. This post comes from soon-to-be-outgoing (but still current!) I&A Chair Rachel Mandell, Metadata Librarian at the University of Southern California Digital Library.
Though we are not quite down to the final moments of the year (in terms of the SAA leadership schedule), we are indeed approaching the final push and thus, as I&A Chair, it is my final Steering Share. First of all, I want to thank everyone on the Steering Committee for being such a great team. You were all vital components of the work that we accomplished this year and working with you all was such a treat! I can’t wait to see/meet all of you in August!
I wanted to take this opportunity to briefly recap everything that we worked on this year and what we hope to continue next year.
Projects accomplished this year:
- Blog series: Probably our most focused project. We really tried to add valuable content to each of our 3 blog series.
- Steering Shares: Each Steering Committee member writes 3 posts throughout the year
- Archivists on the Issues: 3 contributors each writes 3 posts about a topic of their choice.
- Research Teams: Two research teams each write 3 posts.
- News Monitoring Team: This year, the News Monitoring Research team, led by our very own Steve Duckworth, created monthly updates as well as more focused posts.
- Legis* Team: We revamped the Legislative Research teams this year. We encouraged each member on the team to monitor topics of interest relating to legislation, legislators, and/or resources relating to discovering information.
- Also had some additional guest contributors like Eira Tansey and international blog follower François Dansereau
- #AskanArchivist Day: Our Steering Committee participated by taking turns monitoring our Twitter feed. It was great fun!
- Social Media: Our amazing I&A Intern, Samantha Brown, took on handling our social media—and she rocked it! Thanks, Samantha! See us on Facebook and/or Twitter!
- Archives Design Share Portal in collaboration with the Regional Archival Associations Consortium (RAAC): Just getting started with collaborators at RAAC—hoping to get more going soon!
- Collaboration with DLF’s Labor Working Group: Two phone calls to touch base and a possible project on the horizon!
- SAA Advocacy groups quarterly calls. Keep each other informed, run ideas by each other. Also helped CoPP edit /update SAA’s public policy agenda
- Developing program for section meeting at Annual Meeting
Projects to continue next year:
- Continue the blog series tradition!
- Collaboration with DLF
- Temporary labor in libraries/archives survey/study
- Archives Design Share Portal
While in many ways it seems like I wasn’t able to accomplish as much as I wanted, I also definitely feel proud of what we did work on this year and the new projects that we got started on. I look forward to watching Courtney Dean, our esteemed Vice-Chair, who was really more of a co-chair, take over next year.